Wall panels for the kitchen - a great way to finish the room, which is constantly exposed to high humidity and high temperatures. In addition, interior panels allow you to originally decorate the kitchen in any style. However, a wide range of types, colors and textures can confound any person, so you need to know how to choose high-quality and durable wall panels for the kitchen that fit perfectly into the interior, regardless of its style.
Advantages and disadvantages
Original wall panels for the kitchen can be colored, with photo printing, with ornament, as a brick or with imitation of wood. Such material on the wall is widely used for kitchens. However, when choosing it, one should take into account that, depending on the type of material, it may have negative characteristics.
For example, MDF panels strongly absorb unpleasant odors and grease, and plastic panels for the kitchen quickly fade when exposed to direct sunlight. Therefore, decorative panels for the kitchen, although they have drawbacks, are usually characteristic of a certain material.
It is worth considering what common advantages have wall panels for the kitchen. These include:
- Easy installation. Installing a kitchen panel takes a minimum of time and does not require special tools. Installation occurs in two ways. Sheets can be mounted on a frame or with a special glue. For this special glue is used. This process is not accompanied by noise or dirt.
- Ease of care. Wall panels for the kitchen are often made of great length and width, so they do not have seams. It is in the seams that dirt, bacteria, and mold most often settle. Therefore, such material is easier to clean than tile.
- Convenience in laying communications. Many people choose panels due to the fact that they simplify the laying of communications, and allow you to completely hide the sewer, plumbing works and electrical wires.
- Soundproofing. Sheet panels allow you to make and additional sound insulation of the room. To do this, between the wall and the panel, you must put a layer of sound-absorbing material. This allows you to protect other rooms from the noise from the kitchen.
The list of benefits may expand depending on the type of material. For example, if you use such panels for the kitchen as PVC, then you can use them to finish both the walls and the ceiling. And if you use glass, they can be used only for the working wall, but to care for them is extremely simple.
There are different types of wall panels for the kitchen, each of which is recommended to be used in certain cases or depending on the interior of the room. Conventionally, they can be divided into wall and universal. The first type - finishing material only for walls, and the second - can be used for the ceiling.
- Glass panels for the kitchen. The best option to create an apron. Also, with a perfect choice of pattern and color, the glass also looks good on the ceiling. However, the use of glass to finish all walls is impractical. It is better to combine glass panels for the kitchen with other decorative and finishing materials. With the help of this material it is possible to get the perfect gloss, as well as a convenient surface for cleaning.
- MDF panels for the kitchen. Not the best option for use in the kitchen. It accumulates moisture and fat, and is also easily damaged. However, if such sheets are laminated, you can get rid of almost all the negative characteristics of the material. Such panels can be colored, under a brick, with a pattern or with photo printing. Separately, it should be noted acrylic panels for the kitchen, which have good characteristics and affordable price.
- Plastic panels for walls. One of the most affordable wall finishes. Differs average density, original design and ease of care. PVC panels for the kitchen can be of different thickness and density. For the ceiling, you can use thin white panels, and for the walls - colored sheets of maximum thickness. For finishing matte or glossy panels are used, plain, with photo printing or brick.
- Chipboard panels. Quality fiberboard with proper care can last for a long time. Most often they are laminated to protect the material from moisture and grease. With their help, creates the perfect gloss, which is easy to care for.
- Panels of postforming and artificial stone are a material of particle board, which is coated with a polymer coating. This allows you to make a panel under the brick, stone or other natural materials. For the manufacture, you can also use an artificial stone, which, although difficult to install, but it has a stylish design, durability, moisture resistance, as well as a beautiful appearance under a brick or natural stone.
- Tempered glass. One of the most popular design options for an apron, which by its characteristics is not inferior to ceramic tiles. However, on glass, you can create a variety of ornaments and real paintings. For example, you can print a pattern under a brick or stone, color drawings for the design of kitchen furniture. They also simulate mosaic for the kitchen or ceramic tiles. Creating mosaic patterns with hot glass is much easier than using real mosaics. In addition, between the joints is not going to dirt and mold.
Separately, you can select panels for the kitchen under the tile. They allow you to create an optimally flat surface for the installation of ceramic tiles. This simplifies and speeds up repairs if the walls are uneven.
It is worth noting the features of mounting wall panels. The frame method of installation takes more time, and is most often used in the event that a large area cladding or ceiling decoration is required. In this case, it is not necessary to prepare the base in advance. Glue technology at first glance looks easier. However, it must be carefully leveled before use. In addition, for the finishing of the ceiling panels, this method is not required.
Wall and ceiling panels are sheets, the size and thickness of which depends on the type of material chosen. Sheets that are used to make an apron have a length of 2 to 3.5 meters. The width of such sheets is 1-2 meters. Thickness depends on the type of material. However, it is recommended to use sheets with a minimum thickness of 3 mm.
Such materials often have a smooth surface, but you can order matte or texture sheets. The color can be monophonic or with photo printing under white brick, stone or other materials. Drawings can be ordered any. The main thing is that they fit into the design of the kitchen.
When choosing a material, you need to pay attention to where the panels will be installed. If there is a gas stove nearby, the material should have good thermal stability.
Wall panels can be used not only for the apron, but also for decorating the rest of the kitchen space. In this case, it is better to choose lath, composing or other panels from plastic, MFD or PVC. The thickness of the panels, which are located at some distance from the sink and plate, may be lower. In addition, they may not have fire-resistant and moisture-resistant properties. For the working area it is best to use sheet panels, which make it possible to minimize the number of seams.
The installation of such panels on the frame avoids the need to align the walls, which always precedes the process of installation of ceramic tiles. A wide selection of colors and patterns will allow you to choose the optimal solution depending on the design of the kitchen.