Today it is difficult to surprise someone with paper and vinyl wallpaper, and bamboo, maybe, too, but now the glass wall-paper painted not so long ago on the domestic market attracts many sophisticated consumers in interior decoration. Although in fairness it must be said that glass wallpaper is not an invention of today. They were first produced in Germany about 80 years ago in the city of Steinach at a private enterprise, which later patented a trademark for its products VITRULAN, which soon became a world-famous brand. The name VITRULAN was derived from the merging of two Latin words: "vitrum", which translates as "glass", and "lanum", meaning wool.
Glass fabric wallpaper for painting can be used as wallpaper for walls, and as wallpaper for the ceiling. If there are slight defects on the ceiling or walls, they can be easily hidden with the help of glass wall tiles. At the same time, such wallpapering of any surfaces, like painting of glass fiber coatings themselves, is a relatively simple task and accessible even to masters without much experience in construction.
Little about production technology
The process of making fiberglass fibers starts from the moment when the production of its main natural components in the form of:
- quartz sand;
Using the raw materials listed above, first, glass briquettes are obtained, and then these briquettes are melted in special furnaces with a temperature inside of approximately 1,200 ° C.
Then, the resulting mass is passed through platinum plates (dies) with very small holes forming long glass fibers, which after cooling are wound on special reels.
Glass fibers are further spun glass threads, which can be:
- twisted yarns (thick and smooth, used in the manufacture of glass fiber as longitudinal warp threads);
- fluffy threads (looser and not very dense, playing the role of transverse threads in the fabric of the canvas).
Impregnation of cloths
For the impregnation of fiberglass cloths, a special composition of substances is used, including modified starch, giving the glassy wallpaper a resistant form that is well preserved until they are glued to any surface. Glass cloth wallpaper, having a paper base, can be both single-layer and two-layer, and, accordingly, have significantly different strength.
The impregnation of glass cloth canvases is carried out with the use of an impregnating machine, on which a fiber glass reel with a width of two meters is attached. After the glass cloth passes through the bath containing the impregnating solution, it is dried and cut into pieces of a meter width.
Directly before packaging, product quality is controlled and rejected if necessary. First grade cullets sold in stores are rolls one meter wide. Their length is either 25 m or 50 m. They are in sealed vacuum packaging.
Below are the main positive qualities of this finishing material:
- is an environmentally friendly product that does not cause allergies and is therefore permissible to use even in children's rooms;
- does not attract dust;
- prevent the development of mold and fungi;
- Available in a variety of options, differing in texture and style, which are applicable in a variety of interiors of the home;
- has high strength and resistance to mechanical stress;
- it combines flexibility with elasticity;
- can stick on almost any surface;
- due to the presence of reinforcing properties of the material, the probability of cracking of the wall surface is reduced;
- has high fire properties;
- long service life (up to thirty years);
- special care is not required;
- resistant to detergents;
- repeated repainting is possible (in some cases up to 25 times, but on average 10, 11 or 12 times);
- possesses high moisture resistance.
How to glue glass wallpaper?
Before you start working, you must acquire:
- construction knife;
- foam roller;
- plastic spatula;
- safety glasses;
- work gloves;
- capacity for the preparation of glue;
- drill, capable of working at low speeds and equipped with a nozzle-mixer.
In addition to glass cloth wallpaper, you also need to purchase:
- glass fiber glue;
After that it is necessary:
- clean the walls with a metal spatula;
- apply a thin layer of putty to the surface of the wall and smooth it out;
- Using a roller evenly distribute the primer across the wall;
- Allow the applied coating to dry;
- using a ladder, make a mark in pencil on the wall above the ceiling above the door jamb;
- a plumb line to draw a line from this mark to the floor, which will be: “A” - a guideline that allows the wallpaper to be glued strictly vertically rather than at an angle, and “B” - the starting point for work;
- measure the length of this line and designate it as "L";
- cut a piece of wallpaper length equal to "L" + 10 cm;
- determine where your glass wall has a face, and where it is wrong (rolls are usually wound so that the wrong side of the glass cloth wallpaper is outside and has a gray stripe on it);
- prepare the adhesive composition, guided by the instructions in the instructions for the purchased wallpaper glue;
- starting from the line drawn before this near the doorway, apply glue to the intended location of the cut piece of wallpaper with a small margin in width;
- Attach a prepared piece of wallpaper to the wall, starting from the top end of the wallpaper;
- after the first piece is glued, then, acting similarly, glue the second butt to the first, then the third, and so on. (excess glue protruding to the surface is removed by bashing)
- leave the wallpaper to dry for a period of 1 to 2 days.
Among the disadvantages of building materials such as glass wall paper, can be called the fact that they are:
- difficult to remove if necessary;
- cost exceeds the cost of paper, vinyl, as well as non-woven wallpaper;
- price depends on the fiberglass texture;
- can be repainted only once, if the relief of the fiberglass texture is poorly pronounced;
- The variety of patterns available on their surface is very limited.
Is it necessary to paint the glass?
It depends on your fantasies. If the existing color of glass wall mills suits you and fits the idea of your interior design, then, as they say, why bother, that is, there is no need for painting.
However, in most cases, glass wallpaper has a whitish-gray color, which does not always look expressive in the interior, rather pale and uninteresting, and especially the eye is not pleasing.
What is the best color paint glass?
An interesting combination of colors, taking into account the texture of the material and, of course, with a creative approach to the process of decorating the walls, can turn them from dull, mandatory building constructive elements into real works of art.